Generalized anxiety disorder is a common form of anxiety that plagues millions of people with its symptoms. This disorder involves an unrealistic amount of worry in regard to every day things. People with this disorder are unable to control their angst and can find it impacts their relationships at home and work and even their ability to function correctly in routine situations. To help people overcome some of its symptoms, doctors often prescribe general anxiety medications along with other forms of treatment.
Symptoms That Call For General Anxiety Medications
When general anxiety medications are called for, it is typically because patients have endured symptoms for at least a period of six months or more. In the process, these symptoms are likely to have interfered with working and social relationships. Some of the symptoms that trigger the need for general anxiety medications include:
• Irritability, edginess or anger. When people are under the effects of general anxiety disorder, they are often so preoccupied with their worries that they react abruptly in many situations.
• Muscle tightness. Overall muscular tension and even pain can go along with the disorder.
• Sleep disorders. It is not uncommon for people with generalized anxiety disorder to have a great deal of trouble with sleeping. They might find themselves facing insomnia or have problems staying asleep once they do try to relax.
• Fatigue. Between the constant worry and the lack of sleep, overall fatigue is not at all out of the question in this disorder.
• Stomach complaints. As is the case with other forms of worry and stress, the disorder can manifest itself with stomach complaints, such as diarrhea and nausea.
Using General Anxiety Medications
Doctors tend to prescribe a number of different medications for the treatment of general anxiety. In many cases, the medications recommended will fall into the anti-depressant class, but they may also be sedatives, or depressants. What prescription or combination of them will depend a lot on the specific symptoms a patient is experiencing.
Overall, general anxiety medications should be taken exactly as prescribed. In many cases, anti-depressants are called for, which means dosing is very important for effectiveness. If anxiety medications, such as sedatives, are also in use, patients should pay attention to precautions. General anxiety medications are normally used in conjunction with other forms of therapy.
General anxiety medications can help people with this troubling disorder regain control of their lives. When they are used in conjunction with other forms of therapy to help people learn better coping mechanisms, they can be incredibly useful.